Saturday, November 7, 2009

November 6 - Day 6


I'll be posting twice today since I ran out of time yesterday. I'm starting to get to the detail of the shoes. I find that once I have to start slowing down to work with the detail I always hit a point where I end up getting frustrated with something. I have to walk away and keep coming back to it. Or maybe I stop where I am and start working on another spot. I just have to keep at it until the 'ah-ha' and I figure out what I need to be doing.
I'm still working on getting the shoes right so all that green around them is going to be grass but I haven't started to put that detail in yet.
Yesterday I read an interesting article in a newsletter from the artist Robert Genn. And it was totally synchronistic with Leah's post about the frustrating mood she was in. He said that it had been his experience that a bad mood helps the attention span and the critical faculties, not necessarily to be more creative but with a wider vision and sharper focus. He pointed out that the University of New South Wales had produced research that shows people in a negative mood are more critical and more attentive than when in a regular or happy mood. Sadness, they found actually promotes information processing strategies best suited to dealing with demanding situations. Other bad mood benefits were less gullibility, improved assessment of others and memory improvement. Who knew?
I have come to accept that we are meant to experience the full range of emotion but this info helps me refine my attitude about it. I can actually use it my benefit, as Leah did creating her gorgeous bear, instead of letting it throw completely off the track.

1 comment:

  1. What great info, Sherrie! Thanks for sharing it!

    If I hadn't been doing AEDM, I think I might have thought I was too frustrated to paint, so it was a good lesson for me that when I'm having very strong emotions, it's a really good time to paint! I've found that too be true for sadness before, but not anger/frustration. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete